From the Principal's Desk
In-Service for Teachers
Each year teachers at IST take part in eight days of professional training and preparation based at school. Four of these days are before the school year starts and four take place during the school year. Tomorrow, Friday is one of these days and the teachers will be learning more about the Measures of Academic performance (MAP). Results from the recent tests will be analysed by to see how student performance in the assessment can provide useful, formative information for teachers. Parents will receive the results in a couple of weeks time. In April/May time the students will be tested for the second time in the year.
Early Years Programme at IST
On Tuesday morning the elementary parent workshop focused on key principles that define high quality early childhood education and also explored the value of 'play' in young children's lives.
The six principles highlighted were:
1. Early childhood development sets the foundation for lifelong learning, behaviour and health.
2. Play is a means to early learning that capitalises on children's natural curiosity.
3. Partnerships with families and communities strengthen the ability of early childhood settings to meet the needs of young children.
4. Respect for diversity, equity and inclusion are prerequisites for honouring children's rights, optimal development and learning.
5. A planned curriculum supports early learning.
6. Knowledgeable, responsive early childhood professionals are essential.
A committed and passionate early years team here at IST make it possible for our young learners to have the best learning experiences in a stimulating and caring environment. Please follow the youtube link to gain a better understanding of Early childhood education and the importance of 'Play' through a short video that was shared at the workshop. Link here.
Recycling at IST Elementary
As one of its goals for the year The Student Action Council ( SAC - see photo below) is keen to re-invigorate the Reduce Reuse Recycle programme at Elementary School. Did you even know that we have recycling bins at school? A new location is soon to be found, watch this space for more RRR news from SAC.
Tuesday 25 September: Principal's Coffee: Community Engagement
- Grand opening of the Community Room
- Purpose of the space,
- Channels of communication: What are they? Do they work? Could they be improved?
- How else could we engage the community
Tuesday 25 September: Our first Swim Squad Gala of the year kicks off at 2pm. Parents are welcome to attend.
Friday 28 September
- 7.20am: Grade 3 Athletics Inter-House: Parents Welcome
- 7.20am: KG-Grade 2 Assembly: Parents Welcome
Beyond Next Week
On Friday 12 October we are holding Parent Teacher Conferences. Later in the year we will hold three way conferences involving the children but this time it is just for parents and teachers. You will receive a booking sheet in due course to select a time to meet your child's homeroom teacher. To make a time to meet the specialist teachers parents are asked to sign up on sheets which will be displayed near the Front Office. The sheets will be up for five school days starting Wednesday October 3.
Parent Workshops: Tuesdays at 7.15am in the Staffroom
- September 25: Principal's Coffee: Community Engagement
- October 2: English Language Learners
- October 9: Concept Based Maths
- October 23: Child Protection
- October 30: No Parent Workshop
- November 6: Principal's Coffee: ASAs at IST Elementary
- November 13: Words Their Way: Spelling Programme
- November 20: Parent Workshop: How to Help Your Child Excel in an Additional Language
Calendar for the Week
|Tues, 25 Sept.||Principal's Coffee||Community Room||7:15am|
|Tues, 25 Sept.||Swim Squad Gala||Pool||2:00pm|
|Fri, 28 Sept.||Grade 3 Inter-House Athletics||Field||7:20am-09am|
|Fri, 28 Sept.||KG - Gr2 Assembly||MPH||7:20am|