From the Principal's Desk
This time of year is one of transition for so many of our students. While the grade 12 students are in the midst of their DP exams we are also working with grade 5 students on their transition to grade 6. In two weeks we will be celebrating the Class of 2018 as they commence their post secondary school lives. Teachers, students and parents can have mixed emotions during this time that are understandable. We will celebrate at the May 19 Graduation Ceremony and parents have organized a dinner that evening. Students in grade 9 - 11 are finishing up final units and they will begin preparing for final exams. You can find the exam schedule here >>. There is still much work to be done before we wrap up the year on June 13.
Parent Athletics/Activities Meeting Update
Thank you to those parents who turned out to learn more about IST's secondary athletics and after school activities program. We gathered feedback during the session and we plan to do the same with students. You can find the presentation here >> and parents responded to the following questions.
- How might we improve communication between school, students and parents?
- How might we best utilize our current facilities to support programs?
- How might we challenge all student-athletes?
- How might we align our program with students' passions and interests?
- How might we use external partnerships to enhance our program?
After meeting with the students we will review and then use the feedback to guide us in future planning. Our work is continuous so we will plan to share progress throughout next year.
Grade 5 Transition to Secondary
The grade 6 team kicked off the transition process during the month of April and the work will continue into the next school year. Grade 6 Team Leader, Heidi Fitzpatrick has taken the lead by recruiting grade 6 ambassadors who will be directly involved in the planning process. Below is a list of events that have already taken place and that are planned for the future.
- Special Invite to Grade 5 Students to Attend the MS Play - April 25 (4:00 - 6:00 pm)
- Secondary Teachers Meet with Grade 5 Students - May 7
- Grade 5 Students Visit Secondary School - May 9 (8:00 am - 1:30 pm)
- Counselors Meeting with Parents - May 17
- Passing of the Torch - May 18
- Grade 6 Boot Camp - August 13
Final Parent Workshop of the Year
- Trust: A 2-Way Street
- Wednesday, May 16
- 7:45 - 8:45 am
- Room C10
In relationships, trust is an essential component. But, what is this sometimes seemingly "intangible" thing we call trust among parents and teens? How is it built and maintained on this two-way street? How does one repair when a breach occurs? Please join the secondary counsellors for an important discussion about supporting your parent-child relationship through the teen years.
Have a wonderful week!
- 9 May Grade 5 Visit to Secondary School
- 12 May Arts Out Loud
- 19 May Graduation