From the Principal's Desk
We've had a positive first week back to the final term of the school year and enjoyed the visit of author Tanya Crossman who has been working with Students, Teachers, TAs and Parents on the theme of Third Culture Kids.
We welcome 13 new students to Elementary School in April. Some of those students have started this week and we trust it has been a great introduction to IST for them.
Next week we have a busy schedule for students/parents and teachers!
- Tuesday April 10: 7.15am (Staffroom) Parent Workshop: Teaching Additional Languages in IST. This workshop will be led by Mike Mansell
- Tuesday April 10: 12.30pm (Staffroom): EPN Meeting
- Wednesday April 11: 7:15 - 8:15 am (Staffroom) Grade 5 Parent Meeting: Transition to Grade 6 Kickoff! (ES Staff Room). It is time for us to officially begin talking about the transition from elementary to secondary school. The secondary school team will talk through plans for guiding students through the move from the elementary to secondary school, as well as, information on the Bring Your Own Laptop (BYOL) program and Language Acquisition options. The team has been working closely with the ES faculty and administration to make this transition as smooth as possible.
- Thursday April 12: Student Led Conferences: Hopefully, despite the signing up glitches this week, parents have managed to sign up for these conferences. Please don't hesitate to contact Sarah Daniel if you have not been able to log in to CHQ and select a conference time.
- Friday April 13: 7.20am (MPH): Whole School Assembly with visiting musicians from Secondary School
Class Placements for 2018/19 School Year
In a few weeks time teachers will be making tentative class lists for the 2018/19 School Year. Balanced classes are created taking into consideration gender, language needs, student support needs, academic ability and personalities. We also aim to ensure that children are placed with at least one good friend from the previous school year. Classes cannot be finalised until August due to changes which happen over the long break.
Over the next two weeks if parents wish to make a request regarding placement for next year please visit our school counselors (Ms. Carole in room 26 for Grades 3-5 and Ms. Lynn in room 27 for Grades EC-2) to collect a form. However, please do note the following before making any request:
In our Parent Handbook we provide guidelines for parents regarding what they can and cannot request regarding placement:
- Requests for specific teachers cannot be honoured
- Requests to avoid placing a child with a particular homeroom teacher may, under special circumstances, be considered
- Requests to pair specific children cannot be honoured
- If possible, requests to separate children who are known to disrupt each other's learning will be considered
The final date for submitting a request will be in two weeks time: Friday April 20
Tuesday April 10
Parent Workshop: Additional Languages at IST - M Mansell
Tuesday April 10
Wednesday April 11
Workshop for Grade 5 Parents: Transition to Secondary School
Thursday April 12
Student Led Conferences:
Friday April 13
Whole School Assembly with visiting musicians from SS
Parent Workshop on Digital Citizenship
April 17, 7:15-8:00 AM, Elementary Campus, Staff Room - read more below about this great workshop!
ISTs Got Talent
This special event in the school year takes place on Saturday April 21
EPN/SPN Quiz Night Re-arranged
The Quiz Night has been re-arranged for Saturday May 26 at 6pm in the ES MPH. EPN will send reminders nearer the time but please do put it in the diary. We're hoping for a great social event, with lots of people near the end of the school year.