IST provides outstanding support to each student, helping them achieve their unique and individual learning goals.
To implement the IST teaching and learning philosophy, we follow the IB curriculum programmes in the Elementary and Secondary years, as defined by the International Baccalaureate Organisation.
The curriculum is balanced and holistic, providing varied opportunities for students to learn and demonstrate their learning. It enables students to gain understanding and skills in ways that are disciplinary, trans-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary. It encourages students to be reflective and to act upon their learning.
The learner profile is a list of attributes intended to promote academic rigour as well as contribute to a personal value system leading to international-mindedness.
The IB programmes encourage students to become:
- inquirers — their natural curiosity has been nurtured and they actively enjoy learning
- thinkers — they exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to solving complex problems
- communicators — they receive and express ideas and information confidently in more than one language
- risk-takers — they approach unfamiliar situations without anxiety and have the confidence to explore new ideas
- knowledgeable — they have explored themes that have global significance and have acquired a critical mass of knowledge
- principled — they have a sound grasp of the principles of moral reasoning and have acquired integrity, honesty and a sense of justice
- caring — they show sensitivity towards the needs and feelings of others, and have a sense of personal commitment to helping others
- open-minded — they respect the values of other individuals and cultures and seek to consider a range of points of view
- well-balanced — they understand the importance of physical and mental balance and personal well-being
- reflective — they give thoughtful consideration to their own learning by constructively analysing their personal strengths and weaknesses.
IST offers an incredible breadth of opportunities to students allowing them to achieve according to their interests. Whether your child is an aspiring athlete, accomplished musician, budding scientist or passionate advocate for the underdog, they'll find support and inspiration to take on new challenges in our exceptionally diverse community.
From IST's Teaching and Learning Philosophy:
"Student learning is the highest priority at IST. The most effective learning happens in a context in which students feel understood, safe and confident. Teaching and learning at IST follows a constructivist approach, where students actively shape their understanding in interaction with teachers and peers."
"I've found IST a really good school that has improved my education throughout the years I have been here. I enjoy going to school and learning new things and learning with my friends! I'm happy that I've gotten a lot better at maths. I've enjoyed reading and have improved a great amount. I'm very happy going to school here!"
- IST student (Grade 5), submitted anonymously through the Annual Student Survey
beyond the classroom
After school activities and experiential learning are important components of our programme.
After School Activities (ASA)
ASA include a wide range of creative and athletic pursuits and provide students with the chance to learn skills unique to Tanzania such as ngoma dancing as well as internationally recognized sports such as football and basketball.
Service learning is an established and well supported programme at IST with all students having the chance to take part. Students have led award winning initiatives and received international recognition for their significant contributions.
Learning Outside the Classroom
IST offers a broad range of opportunities for students to learn outside of the classroom. Students participate in ESP (extended studies programme) Week which is a chance for travel and learn within Tanzania, and they also have the opportunity to participate in trips coordinated through Round Square and the International Awards Programmes.
Creative pursuits are a hallmark of the student experience at IST. With many opportunities in both fine and performing arts as well as opportunities in creative writing and design technology, IST students have been recognised internationally and locally for their achievements.