IST offers an incredible breadth of opportunities to students allowing them to achieve according to their interests. Whether your child is an aspiring athlete, accomplished musician, budding scientist or passionate advocate for the underdog, they'll find support and inspiration to take on new challenges in our exceptionally diverse community.
We know the impact that great teachers have on the learning of our young people. Therefore, we strive to recruit and retain the best educational professionals. We are looking for educators who will challenge and motivate our students, with their varied learning needs and styles, to achieve their very best. Matching the commitment and energy that we expect from our teachers, our hope is that work at IST will be stimulating and rewarding.
After IST, our students earn admission to the world’s leading universities. Prominent IST alumni include successful entrepreneurs, Olympic athletes, policy makers, renowned artists and researchers.
IST is proud of its enthusiastic network of parents who volunteer to welcome new families, strengthen the link between school and home, and support each other in developing the awareness and skills they need to raise their children in Dar es Salaam.
You can contribute to the IST learning community in many ways.
Support your child
Researchers generally agree that parental involvement in schools promotes student success and achievement. Ask your child about his/her day and seek clarification from the school when appropriate. Refer to the Contact and Communication pages of the Elementary and Secondary Parent Handbooks.
Share your knowledge and experience
There are several opportunities for parents to share their knowledge and experience with IST students. Some examples include:
- Participation in Elementary and Secondary Parent Network events such as International Day
- Contributing to unit discussions in your area of expertise in class, coordinated by class teachers and grade teams
- Participation in the Annual Career Fair coordinated by the IST Alumni Association
Support the IST Scholarship Fund
Each year, IST awards a limited number of full tuition scholarships to Tanzanian students who wish to study at IST and have demonstrated academic achievement, financial need and a desire to pursue international education. Past scholarship recipients have gone on to study at universities around the world, many in the U.S., and are now respected professionals in areas such as biotechnology research, economics, and international business to name a few. The IST Scholarship Fund was established in 2013 to help offset the non-tuition costs associated with studying at a secondary school such as IST. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about how you can support the IST Scholarship Fund.
1. Our students are extraordinary. They work hard, they persevere, they are motivated and they succeed.
2. We provide incredible opportunities for after school activities and service learning. Students lead initiatives and tackle huge goals, both personal as well as to benefit society worldwide.
3. We believe all students are able to achieve and we offer a wide range of support. We have a complete learning support department, we hire experienced EAL teachers and we help academically strong students to reach farther to increase their understanding of complex concepts.
4. We help students develop skills that have relevance across the school curriculum and beyond such as working with others, managing time and tasks, managing state of mind and managing goals. At IST, students refine their approach to learning.
“IST has a great programme and the facilities are the best in Tanzania. The teaching and non teaching staff [are] extremely competent and the entire experience is very positive.”
- parent, IST Parent Survey
The International School of Tanganyika is a proud member of / accredited by these organisations:
Child protection is extremely important. IST’s Child Protection Policy (Section 7.15 >>) together with procedures to verify the previous employment for new job applicants is part of our commitment to ensure all members of the IST community are informed and educated regarding symptoms of child abuse for the protection of all of our students.