International School of Tanganyika Admissions
Education is the framework that will shape your children’s lives. That’s why it’s important to pick a school with rigorous academics, a holistic approach to learning and an extensive list of extra-curricular activities. It’s important to choose a school that will challenge your children to learn, offer the support they need to excel and inspire them to become productive, global citizens who give back to their community. IST embodies these characteristics and will help your children achieve excellence.
95% of our students receive admissions to a four-year university.
Global education networks
IST has a long and extensive history with a number of international organizations since its establishment in 1963.
World class faculty
20 teachers from 15 countries with 40% of them holding an advanced degree.
Why Attend the International School of Tanganyika?
We are committed to ensuring the best learning and teaching environment for your children, tailoring our curriculum to ensure they get an opportunity to explore, learn and develop both their passions and interests.
Since 1963, IST has provided an excellent educational experience to students who have matriculated to universities and other schools throughout the world. We are proud of the calibre of our staff and the work that they do; we are even prouder of the students with whom we work day by day.
Applying to IST
All children are welcome to apply for admission to IST. Our admission criteria and priorities are guided by our vision to serve the educational needs of children of internationally mobile families in Dar es Salaam.
How to Apply
Students can apply to IST at any time for the 2019-2020 school year. Completed applications will be reviewed at the time they are received and parents will be notified soon thereafter. For those enrolling mid-year, acceptance decisions are usually made more quickly unless your child/ren are applying for a Grade where a waitlist exists.
For complete details on how to apply to IST, please visit the Apply for Admissions page.
Admission Criteria and Priorities
Admission to IST is dependent on the applicant meeting our admission criteria in terms of academic performance, behaviour and ability to benefit from the rigorous IB Programme.
As part of the admission process, IST must discover relevant information about your children’s abilities, learning differences, talents and learning styles. We administer an admissions test to assist in determining whether their educational needs can be met by our school.
Whenever it’s not possible to accommodate all qualified applicants, admissions will be granted according to our priority policy.
Student Age Placement
The grade your child is placed in depends upon their age at the time of admission:
- A student must turn the minimum age for the Grade by the 31st of August.
- At the time of admission, a student shall not be more than two years older than the normal age of students in that Grade. Any exception to this policy may be granted by the Director only in exceptional circumstances. (Board Policy 6.105, March 6, 2014)
Click here to view our Student Age Placement chart.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition is to be paid on an annual basis for each student and varies depending upon the grade level. As a not-for-profit, parent-directed school, tuition is directed back into the school to improve the educational experience, campus and facilities, and to recruit world-class teachers and administrators.
Additional fees will be charged based on each student’s personal requirements.
Click here to view the complete overview of our tuition and fees.
Following graduation, 95% of students receive admission to four-year university programmes or colleges.
An IST Education Ensures A World of Possibilities for Your Children
IST has many strengths as a school community: a rigorous academic curriculum experienced and devoted faculty members, strong parent support networks, excellent facilities and a belief in a balanced international education. That being said, our greatest strength is our commitment to the unique nature of each child we serve.
A History of Academic Excellence
Introduced in 1983, IST has an extensive history with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme and inherently the academic excellence exemplified from the students who have graduated from it.
Over the almost 40 years of teaching the IB Programme, we’ve mastered how best to ensure students come out of IST ready for a successful future. After graduating from the IB Programme, your children will be:
- Inquirers — their natural curiosity has been nurtured and they actively enjoy learning.
- Thinkers — they exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to solving complex problems.
- Communicators — they receive and express ideas and information confidently in more than one language.
- Risk-takers — they approach unfamiliar situations without anxiety and have the confidence to explore new ideas.
- Knowledgeable — they have explored themes that have global significance and have acquired a critical mass of knowledge.
- Principled — they have a sound grasp of the principles of moral reasoning and have acquired integrity, honesty and a sense of justice.
- Caring — they show sensitivity towards the needs and feelings of others and have a sense of personal commitment to helping others.
- Open-minded — they respect the values of other individuals and cultures and seek to consider a range of points of view.
- Well-balanced — they understand the importance of physical and mental balance and personal well-being.
- Reflective — they give thoughtful consideration to their own learning by constructively analyzing their personal strengths and weaknesses.
To ensure this, our faculty are not only experts in their field and often hold advanced degrees, but they are also trained extensively in our core IB Programmes.
Global Education Networks
IST has a long and extensive history with a number of international organizations since our establishment in 1963. Through our affiliations with influential global education networks, your children will have the opportunity to connect with others both globally and locally in Dar es Salaam.
At various times throughout their education, your children will have to opportunity to participate in a variety of local and global activities that expand their perspective and connects them to their peers around the world.
One such partnership is with ISSEA, a prestigious international league of eight schools who compete in a wide range of activities from football, basketball, swimming and volleyball, to band, choir, drama, robotics and STEM projects. Through these activities, your children will hone their athletic and teamwork skills by competing against others, thereby teaching them a strong work ethic, collaboration and persistence.
World Class Faculty
At IST, faculty are recruited both locally and around the world to promote a diverse range of values and lived experiences. Regardless of where our teachers are from, they share four important characteristics:
- They are experts in their field, often holding advanced degrees and training in our core programmes such as the PYP, MYP or DP.
- They are committed to making the world a better place and are keen to contribute to their local community.
- They are willing to contribute to extra-curricular programmes and are excited about sharing their passions and interests with the community.
- They love working with students and recognize that all students are unique individuals.
Through these four characteristics, your children will have access to faculty who support, challenge and inspire them.
Words From the IST Community
“We chose to enroll our children in IST for the quality of education and a multitude of opportunities it has to offer the kids. I am happy with the way IST students are regularly encouraged to do meaningful service, develop their leadership skills and explore their academic interests through the IB Diploma Programme. I have been able to see my son, for example, set off into college in the United States, confidently knowing that he is equipped with the discipline, academic ability, and interpersonal skills to succeed.”
Tingret Yirdaw, parent of two
“I really like IST because it helped me become more confident in myself when conversing with other people and it gave me opportunities to interact with different people from different parts of the world.”
IST student Muhamad Dhanani
“The best part about attending IST was the wealth knowledge I gained by being in such a culturally diverse environment. The standard of this international education was incredibly high, which inevitably meant that year one of university was a breeze.”
IST alumna, Miranda Naiman,
founder of Empower