During the 2017-18 school year, IST completed an in-depth review of its strategic goals through a highly consultative process involving all members of the IST community. The result is an ambitious plan which complements our teaching and learning philosophy as well as our approached to international-mindedness, community engagement and customer service.
The strategic plan is oriented around three main goals; Personalized Learning, Engaged Community, and Ensured Sustainability. The full document can be downloaded here.
Aim One - Personalized Learning
Student learning is progressive, achieved through interaction and exchanges with teachers and peers, and most successful when schools have well-articulated frameworks to define coherent expectations in terms of essential knowledge, understandings, and skills. Students are empowered through their work with teachers and peers in and outside the classroom and motivated to explore their interests, think critically, and to pursue excellence. Effective assessment systems are in place to help guide students and to make instructional decisions and all stakeholders are well informed about student progress towards curricular expectations.
- Ensure alignment between the written, taught and assessed curriculum
- Implement a strong, multi-tiered system of support to students, consistent with IST's common understanding of inclusion
- Improve our ability to offer a balanced program with opportunities for excellence in academics, the arts, and athletics
- Provide exemplary transition programs between campuses and other institutions of learning
- Ensure reporting models support effective partnerships with parents and their child's learning
- Develop a strong internal professional learning community to embed successful professional learning experiences
- Ensure IST students' appropriate use of technology supports their learning
Aim Two - Engaged Community
IST is a vibrant learning community that relies on effective communication to ensure that all stakeholders are devoted to the collaborative success of IST students. IST strives to develop effective partnerships to ensure that students have access to a network of experts within Tanzania, and around the world. A well informed, interconnected community embraces IST's values, supports the school, is concerned about its continued success.
- Improve IST’s local, global and international reputation
- Provide opportunities for IST students and faculty to connect with local and global experts
- Develop partnerships within the local community to improve student experiences
- Improve processes and systems to improve communication within the IST community
- Build reciprocal structures to connect alumni with current students
- Establish sustainable and supportive relationships with government ministries
- Promote positive school spirit within and across campuses
Aim Three - Ensured Sustainability
In support of IST's vision to be a global leader in the education of internationally-mobile young people, long term plans are in place to align financial resources to support excellent facilities and a world-class faculty and support staff. These long term plans help to facilitate communication amongst stakeholders, build support for educational programs and financial expenditures and maintain transparency within the community. As a tuition-dependent school, IST maintains fiscal discipline to ensure that financial resources are utilized effectively.
Goals - Ensured Sustainability
- Review the master site plan to ensure school facilities support learning experiences
- Maintain fiscal discipline and transparency within the IST community
- Develop the school’s capacity to recruit/retain excellent employees
- Lessen IST’s environmental footprint
- Align governing models with best practice