A Brief History of IST
The concept for IST began taking shape in 1961 as the result of an increased international outlook and an influx of international staff and their families in Dar es Salaam following Tanganyika's (later to join with Zanzibar to form the United Republic of Tanzania) independence. In 1962, a few parents began exploring the possibility of setting up an international school in Dar es Salaam. Eventually, this group, together with the assistance of the then Geneva-based International Schools Association, was successful in the creation of what has become by all accounts a successful school enroling more than 1000 students from over 60 nationalities on two campuses, employing over 100 teachers and several hundred support staff. However, the beginnings were slightly more humble.
When IST opened its doors on what was then called Cameron Road (now United Nations Road) in September of 1963, it had 214 elementary-aged pupils, nine full-time and one part-time teacher, mostly recruited from within Tanzania. At the time, it was also the first international school in this half of Africa. By the end of the year, the school community had grown to 305 pupils and 15 full-time teachers.
Throughout the following years, two flats of teacher housing, a laboratory, a library, a music room, an assembly hall (’66) and the pool (’67) were added. In 1966, more teacher flats were finished and land for a playing field was bought and built.