Greetings and welcome to the website of the International School of Tanganyika (IST)! IST is a warm and wonderful school providing excellent educational opportunities to students residing in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Here are some fast facts about IST to help you get acquainted with us:
- founded in 1963, a leading international school in Africa and worldwide;
- an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School offering all three of the IB programmes:
- the Primary Years Programme,
- the Middle Years Programme, and
- the Diploma Programme;
- graduates are accepted into the top universities around the world; and,
- students are involved in a stimulating world of learning through coursework, activities, and service to the community.
Some of our students attend IST for their entire pre-university education. Others are with us for only a few years, as is common in international schools with families transferring from one post to another. At each grade, IST offers comprehensive academic and activities programmes designed to help new students quickly find a home at IST.
Students needing to improve their English language skills in order to be able to participate in the regular curriculum are supported in their language learning.
IST's multi-national faculty encourages all students to develop an appreciation for Tanzania and the diversity of the more than fifty countries represented in the IST community. Tomorrow's diplomatic, business, educational, and scientific leaders are enrolled in our school today. We are proud of what we are and whom we serve.
IST is a private, non-profit, parent-governed school with two beautiful campuses in residential areas of Dar es Salaam separated by just a few minutes drive. School-sponsored trips and extracurricular activities are an important part of a student’s experience and some of these activities and opportunities are featured on other parts of this website. We encourage you to visit all parts of our website and contact us with any questions that you may have.